Pages

Sunday 7 December 2014

Kim Kardashian's Make Up Secret: Contouring 101


Hey my lovelies so today, let's talk Contouring.

When  I think of Contouring the person who initally springs to mind is of course - Kim Kardashian. Kim has revealed this technique to be one of her top beauty secrets (not so secret anymore). Okay so if a method claims to make the face look better, more photogenic - if this is at all possible then I'm there.

Contouring is by definition 'to mould into a specific shape' or to ' mark a map or diagram'. Essentially, Contouring is mapping out your face.

You can Contour using both powder or liquid foundations, to be honest it's each to their own but I personally prefer using liquid foundation as I feel the finish is much more flawless - maybe a tad heavier amount of make up than usual but Contouring is perfect for a night out or date night etc. Powder contouring is more subtle and natural, I guess. However me and powder Highlighters just don't get along well. It doesn't sit well on the skin and can be quite drying and rather unflattering for me if I'm honest but this pretty much depends on your skin type.

If you decide to Contour your face the usual rule of thumb is to use a Powder/Foundation one/two shades darker than your natural skin tone for Contouring and a Powder/Foundation that is one shade lighter than your natural skin colour for highlighting.

The areas you need to Contour your face are where the natural shadows lie, this is usually just underneath your Cheekbones, Temples, Jaw Line & each side of your Nose. Places you usually need to Highlight are just above your Cheekbones, your Brow Bone, Forehead and down the middle of your nose. This will ensure the light falls on your face and accentuates your best features and more importantly sculpts your face just that little bit more.  Once you've mapped out your face, you need to start blending and buffing this into your face.  I know initially when you're mapping out the products on your face it all looks a little strange and you feel as though you're applying war paint - but rest assured once all the products are blended properly you will have that flawless finish.

I would recommend watching this video so you can get the gist on what the whole process looks like and the best techniques to follow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLSy75M46o  This is a bit of a more dramatic approach but you can go as heavy or subtle as you like!

My go-to Contouring products that I usually reach for are...
1. YSL Touch Eclat Foundation in Shade B10 (their lightest shade, this is for highlighting)
2. MAC Studio Fix Fluid in Shade NC25 (for Contouring)
3. MAC Alluring Aquatic Bronzer in Refined Golden (further Contouring/Bronzing)
4. Benefit High Beam (Highlighter)

When contouring I feel it works best if you apply a primer then a light Foundation base so your skin is all one colour and then go from there. If you plan on Contouring I would also say it would be a good idea to invest in a good Foundation/Buffing Brush and a Contouring Brush - Real Techniques offer some great brushes for this at a fairly decent price and are my choice of brush!

Again, as a little disclaimer - Liquid Foundation works best for me but may not for you. I know there are some fab Contour Palettes out there both High Street & Luxury. If you're looking for a  more affordable option the Bourjois set if fab. Luxury palettes that I've heard other people rave about are the Tom Ford Shade & Illuminating Cream and the Filmstar Bronze & Glow by Charlotte Tilbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by KotrynaBassDesign