Pages

Monday 15 December 2014

Motivational Monday - Why Rejection Is Good

Motivational Monday



Hey my lovelies and welcome to Blogmas Day 15! So today I want to talk about rejection but not in the light you would think. Rejection of course is seen by many as a negative noun, the synonyms looked up on Google by yours truly, also indicate a distinctive correlation of negative connotations, to name a few: cold shoulder, hard time, dismissal, kick in the teeth etc. As the dictionary definition suggests, rejection - as a general rule isn't a good thing but going by some of the books I've read in the past year or so and a few wise words from my former boss - I believe that rejection can be a good thing.

Think of it like this, every person that rejects you is, to say the least is giving you a definitive answer, maybe not the one you had hoped for but hey at least you know what's what now and you can move on with your life. A job application for example, hearing back to say you haven't got the job is better than hearing nothing at all right? Every failure in life is an opportunity to succeed, let me explain... so you work your arse off for something and it doesn't go the way you hoped and well you aren't reaping the rewards, bugger. Essentially what you worked so hard for didn't pay off and now you feel like you're stuck in a rut, correction; you're not. To me, if I fail at something I see it as an opportunity to work harder or to take a different path in life - maybe what I thought I wanted isn't what I really wanted or maybe things didn't pan out the way I hoped because that's not where I'm supposed to be. The numbers and successful entrepreneurs speak for themselves...
  • J.K Rowling was rejected by 12 publishers before Harry Potter & The Philosophers Stone was published
  • Walt Disney was turned down 302 times before he was granted finance for creating Disneyland
  • Vincent Van Gogh only sold 1 painting in his life time which was to a friend. Despite this, he kept on painting and created over 800 pieces of art work and is today estimated to be worth $142.7 million
  • Oprah Winfrey was demoted from her job as a news anchor because 'she wasn't fit for television' 
  • At 30 years old, Steve Jobs fell into depression after being removed from a company he worked at for 30 years. 
To all of the above you can pretty much say 'Well who's laughing now'. These incredibly successful individuals worked so hard for what they were passionate about, they didn't let rejection/failure phase them and continued to work for what they believed in until someone else believed in them. So, if anyone rejects you in life whether it be in love, work, financially or emotionally, it's okay to have a moment to mope but once that's over with - sweep it under the carpet and work on something better. Every bit of rejection you ever had has led you to moving onto something better, so work hard, stick at it and your moment will eventually happen. 

A quote that has well and truly stuck in my mind since I was a youngster that my dad always used to say to me 'Quitters never win and winners never quit. - Vincent  Lombardi'. 

I also have this poem up on my wall in my room that my dad gave to me when I was younger - The Man Who Thinks He Can:

If you think you are beaten, you are;
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you'd like to win but think you can't
It's almost a cinch you won't.
If you think you'll lose, you've lost.
For out in the world we find
Success being with a fellow's will;
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you're outclassed, you are:
You've got to think high to rise.
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.
Life battles don't always go
To a stronger or faster man,
But soon or late, the man who wins
Is the one who think's he can. 

Have you ever been rejected but it turned out for the better? If so, comment below!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by KotrynaBassDesign